The problem of audition in language learning

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 21 15:54:32 UTC 2010

Hi Paul
this is a very common problem in second  (or 3rd, 4th, 5th) language acquisition and I'm afraid there's no quick answer. One theory is that when we listen for overall comprehension that we don't pay attention to the 'smaller' elements.  At an elementary stage of learning the cognitive burden of trying to comprehend meaning and attend to unfamiliar phonemes is just too much (Pavel Trifimovich has written extensively on this).  So it may be an idea just to concentrate on the individual phonemes by comparing/contrasting words or even invented words which contain the problematic sounds and differentiating between them.  In that way your focus will be on the sound and not on the meaning.  It's boring, but might help - remember 'oryol' 'korol''?

AM