Mac OS 10.6 and Russian

Benjamin Rifkin rifkin at TCNJ.EDU
Tue Aug 24 02:45:57 UTC 2010

Dear SEELANGers:

I'm shifting from an older laptop to a newer one and have stumbled in setting up Cyrillic on the new machine. I know it should work and it does in Microsoft Word, but I can't get it to work in Safari and Mail. Here are the details:

I am using using Mac OS 10.6.4.
I installed my Russian keyboard driver and my Russian fonts.
I can use Russian in MS Word.
In Mac Mail and in Safari - I can paste Cyrillic, but I can't type in Cyrillic. The Cyrillic option in my language input menu (just to the left of the battery icon) is faded out when I'm in Mail or Safari, but it is a viable option in MS Word.

Thank you for any suggestions and solutions.

Sincerely,

Ben Rifkin
The College of New Jersey