OS 10.6 again

Benjamin Rifkin rifkin at TCNJ.EDU
Tue Aug 24 17:10:25 UTC 2010

Dear SEELANGers:

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

I confess that I use a transliterated keyboard and the one that comes
with the Macintosh operating system does not have the layout that I
like.  The keyboard I have been using has worked with unicode and
worked fine in Mac OS 10.5, but it seems to work only partially in
10.6.  For some strange reason, it works fine in MS Word and
Powerpoint, but not in Mac Mail or Safari.  I'm not sure why, and
continue to work on solutions.

I definitely have no problem shifting from English to Russian layouts
in Mac 10.5 in all my applications, am very familiar with the language
input toggle and the international panel in system preferences.

If anyone has had experience with this particular peculiarity
(keyboard layout working in some applications, but not others), please
do let me know off-list.  I will gladly post a summary to the list for
those who might encounter the same problem.

With thanks to all,

Ben Rifkin
The College of New Jersey