OS 10.6 again

Judson Rosengrant jrosengrant at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Aug 24 17:00:06 UTC 2010

Perhaps I'm missing something myself, but Mr. Kalbouss, while copying my
message, seems simply to have repeated my suggestions. . .

I suspect I would disagree with his one addition, however: that the system
doesn't work with "general texts".  I'm not quite sure what he means by
that, but I myself have encountered no instance where the Russian Cyrillic
(phonetic or standard) has not functioned perfectly across the board.
Safari (Firefox, Chrome) and Word, Entourage and the other components of
Microsoft Office all allow me to shift back and forth at will between Roman
and Cyrillic without impediment.  The reason seems to be that the fonts,
keyboards, etc. are now built into in the Mac operating system (and have
been since 10.5) and are thus independent of any particular application.  If
set up correctly, the OS 10.6 Cyrillic systems (there are several) should
work as required without the addition of any other software, which is now
superfluous.

JR

Judson Rosengrant, PhD
PO Box 551