Mac OS 10.6 and Russian keyboard layouts

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Tue Aug 24 20:48:22 UTC 2010

MAC offers you the phonetic keyboard as an option; it was too easy to
be believed!

On 8/24/10 1:33 AM, Steven Clancy wrote:
> Dear Ben and SEELANGS,
>
> I upgraded my home desktop Mac last summer and am currently setting up
a new laptop, so I've dealt with the same issues in Snow Leopard.

> For some reason, keyboards that have worked for more than a decade
(I've been using a phonetic keyboard that toggles between
Latin/Cyrillic when caps lock is on/off in one form or another since
about 1995) don't work in all software packages anymore (you get the
greying out when they aren't available). It's a bit of a pain, but one
can switch over to a new keyboard layout and get used to it or take
steps to make things work the old way. There are multiple built-in
options these days, although one tends to like what one has been using
for a while.

> The one I've long used for Cyrillic is Matvey Palchuk's
Russian-AppleStd with the toggle feature between Latin/Cyrillic, very
useful, especially when you're often making things for pedagogical
purposes with lots of mixed language in it. This keyboard has been
updated (http://www.friends-partners.org/partners/rusmac/), so it works
with Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard, but it no longer has the toggle feature.
However, it's not such a big loss as you can now easily switch between
the two last used keyboards with the keystroke command+space bar. This
is just as easy, sometimes even easier than the old caps lock system,
since  you can then actually use caps lock for all caps as well.

> But if you have old keyboards that you want to update, there is a free
program called Ukelele, that lets you modify or create keyboard layouts
for Macs. This is another option to make something or adapt something
to work in Snow Leopard. I had this problem with my Czech and Polish
layouts, also about 15 years old, and I've been able to get by with
these solutions, keeping things the same as I was used to and prefer.
> http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=ukelele
>
> in some ways, it's amazing that the same keyboards worked for so long,
even before the unicode age, yet still worked fine in a unicode
compatible way and alongside multiple OS upgrades through the years.

> Good luck, hope this helps,
>
> Steven
>

> Steven Clancy
> Senior Lecturer in Russian and Slavic Linguistics
> Academic Director, Center for the Study of Languages
> Director, Slavic Language Program
>
> University of Chicago
> Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures

-

Melissa T. Smith, Professor
Department of Foreign Languages and
Literatures