OS 10.6 again

Kjetil Rå Hauge k.r.hauge at ILOS.UIO.NO
Tue Aug 24 19:44:56 UTC 2010

On 24/08/2010 19:10, Benjamin Rifkin wrote:

> If anyone has had experience with this particular peculiarity (keyboard
> layout working in some applications, but not others), please do let me
> know

Snow Leopard-compatible key layout files have the extension
".keylayout". (To see filename extensions: Finder>Preferences>Show all
filename extensions, and the files themselves are located under your
user in Library>Keyboard Layouts and/or in Macintosh
HD>System>Library>Keyboard Layouts.) I have a heritage key layout file
with the extension ".rsrc", so I decided to try it out in a number of
applications. As expected, it failed in a number of Apple applications:

Finder
TextEdit
Stickies
Safari
Preview
Address Book
Mail
Terminal

.. and it worked in some third-party apps:

Thunderbird (using it now)
BBEdit
Firefox
Word 2004
Word 2008
NeoOffice
Spotify

.. and not in others:
</oXygen>

More surprisingly, it did work in some Apple applications:

iTunes (even did transliteration for me - searching for алла [alla] and
hoping for Алла Пугачева [you know who], I also got a hit for the iPhone
app "99 Names of Allah")
AppleScript Editor (allowing you to type Unicode chars directly into the
script, instead of entering each single char in the format «data
utxt01FA» etc.)
iWeb
iWork 09: Keynote, Numbers, Pages

There is probably a technical explanation for this, but with a laptop
with recurrent kernel panic on my hands, I don't have time to dig it up.
--
--- Kjetil Rå Hauge, U. of Oslo
--- tel. +47/22856710, fax +1/5084372444