The problem of audition in language learning

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Tue Aug 24 20:46:41 UTC 2010

Wouldn't it also be helpful to consult an Internationa Phonetic
transcription to understand in what part of the mouth the sound is
formed?

On 8/24/10 4:48 AM, Mark Kingdom wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> This is what I would do, (for what it's worth):
>
> Get some recordings of good, clean Korean. (I suspect Rosetta would be
good
> for this, if they have Korean. Or Pimsleur.)
>
> Transcribe what you hear, and DO NOT look at the answer. And (as Anne
Marie
> said) DO NOT worry at all about meaning.
> The goal is simply: This is what I hear when a Korean says this word:
>
> I'd then make recordings of myself saying these very same words and
have a
> native speaker listen and say,
> "This is what I hear when you say **** ."
>
> When I was first learning Russian, I transcribed all 50 CDs of the
Pimsleur
> Russian series, and then paid a native Russian
> speaker to listen as I read from my notebooks. And I was always
looking for
> the same thing: What did I say? Is my pronunciation
> understandable? (I'm not aiming for native pronunciation. I just want
to be
> clearly understood by native speakers.)
>
> Based on the results I got from my time with the native speaker, I'd
really
> concentrate on the problem sounds. (For example,
> if a Russian speaker were to do this exercise, they'd inevitably get
caught
> on the 'i' sound of words like 'big' and 'ship' ("beeg....sheep")
> So, they would then work with a native speaker trying to really nail
those
> few problem sounds.
>
> So, again, it comes down to how well you transcribe. What's funny is,
when I
> was transcribing the Pimsleur stuff,
> the same words would come up, of course, in different situations....and
> sometimes my transcription varied. I don't mean
> kuritsa  versus  kuritsu, I just mean, sometimes I'd hear, for example,
> здравствуйте one way, and then slightly different
> the next. Those variations in your transcriptions (especially if
transcribed
> in different sessions) are very enlightening.
> "Hmm...sometimes it sounds like this, and sometimes like this. I need
more
> examples from more speakers."
>
> Anyway, that's what I did with Russian, and that's what I'd do if I
were
> trying to learn Korean.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Mark
>

> Definitely do NOT bother with meaning, as Anne Marie said. Transcribe
clear
> Korean speech using
>

> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Paul B. Gallagher <
> paulbg at pbg-translations.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear colleagues,
> >
> > Since we have a lot of professional language teachers here, I
thought this
> > would be the right place to get expert advice.
> >
> > I've been working with Russian for decades, and when I hear the
occasional
> > unfamiliar word, my ear is now good enough that I identify all the
sounds
> > correctly and can generally look the word up in a dictionary on the
first
> > try, and almost always by the second or third try (because of
idiosyncrasies
> > of the spelling system). But this has not always been true, and it's
> > certainly not true when I listen to less-familiar languages.
> >
> > I've recently taken an interest in Korean, and despite many hours of
hard
> > work, I'm still often unsure of what I'm hearing or even mistaken.
Some of
> > that is simply the vocabulary problem (listeners who expect a word
recognize
> > it even if it's mispronounced a little), but mostly it's because I'm
just
> > not proficient at hearing that sound inventory. For example, the
name of a
> > favorite soap opera, 미우나 고우나, should be /miuna kouna/, but when I
hear it,
> > the Korean /o/, which is somewhat higher/closer than the American
one,
> > sounds to me like /u/, so I "hear" 미우나 구우나 /miuna kuuna/.
Conversely, when I
> > pronounce it, I aim too low and they think I'm saying 미우나 거우나 /miuna
kɔuna/.

> > So my question to you experts is, how can I make faster progress
training
> > my ear? I already know a certain amount of practice is required;
what I'm
> > asking is how I can make the best use of that time so that each hour
of
> > practice affords the maximum benefit.
> >
> > Thanks much.
> >
> > --
> > War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.
> > --
> > Paul B. Gallagher
> > pbg translations, inc.
> > "Russian Translations That Read Like Originals"
> > http://pbg-translations.com

> >  options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface
at:
> >                   http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

-

Melissa T. Smith, Professor