The problem of audition in language learning

Tue Aug 24 10:36:10 UTC 2010

Mark Kingdom wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> This is what I would do, (for what it's worth):
>
> Get some recordings of good, clean Korean. (I suspect Rosetta would
> be good for this, if they have Korean. Or Pimsleur.)
>
> Transcribe what you hear, and DO NOT look at the answer. And (as Anne
> Marie said) DO NOT worry at all about meaning. The goal is simply:
> This is what I hear when a Korean says this word:
>
> I'd then make recordings of myself saying these very same words and
> have a native speaker listen and say, "This is what I hear when you

This sounds promising, thanks.

I have access to lots of good audio, and I'm working on setting up an
"exchange program" with some local speakers. There's only so much I can
learn alone in a room with books and CDs.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com