The problem of audition in language learning

Mark Kingdom k2kingdom at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 24 08:48:50 UTC 2010

Hi Paul,

This is what I would do, (for what it's worth):

Get some recordings of good, clean Korean. (I suspect Rosetta would be good
for this, if they have Korean. Or Pimsleur.)

Transcribe what you hear, and DO NOT look at the answer. And (as Anne Marie
said) DO NOT worry at all about meaning.
The goal is simply: This is what I hear when a Korean says this word:

I'd then make recordings of myself saying these very same words and have a
native speaker listen and say,
"This is what I hear when you say **** ."

When I was first learning Russian, I transcribed all 50 CDs of the Pimsleur
Russian series, and then paid a native Russian
speaker to listen as I read from my notebooks. And I was always looking for
the same thing: What did I say? Is my pronunciation
understandable? (I'm not aiming for native pronunciation. I just want to be
clearly understood by native speakers.)

Based on the results I got from my time with the native speaker, I'd really
concentrate on the problem sounds. (For example,
if a Russian speaker were to do this exercise, they'd inevitably get caught
on the 'i' sound of words like 'big' and 'ship' ("beeg....sheep")
So, they would then work with a native speaker trying to really nail those
few problem sounds.

So, again, it comes down to how well you transcribe. What's funny is, when I
was transcribing the Pimsleur stuff,
the same words would come up, of course, in different situations....and
sometimes my transcription varied. I don't mean
kuritsa  versus  kuritsu, I just mean, sometimes I'd hear, for example,
здравствуйте one way, and then slightly different
the next. Those variations in your transcriptions (especially if transcribed
in different sessions) are very enlightening.
"Hmm...sometimes it sounds like this, and sometimes like this. I need more
examples from more speakers."

Anyway, that's what I did with Russian, and that's what I'd do if I were
trying to learn Korean.

Hope this helps!

Mark

Definitely do NOT bother with meaning, as Anne Marie said. Transcribe clear
Korean speech using