Graduate Studies in Slavic at FSU

Lisa Ryoko Wakamiya lwakamiy at MAILER.FSU.EDU
Wed Dec 1 18:42:19 UTC 2010

Graduate Studies in Slavic at Florida State University

The Department of Modern Languages and
Linguistics at Florida State University offers an
innovative and interdisciplinary MA curriculum in
Slavic, with emphases in (1) Russian literature
and critical theory, and (2) Russian language pedagogy and SLA.

Our MA program emphasizes literary-critical and
SLA methodologies and theory within a core
curriculum that includes comprehensive coursework
in nineteenth- and twentieth-century and contemporary Russian literature.

The Slavic Division offers distinctive seminars including:
  • Transnationalism
  • Critical Approaches to Vladimir Nabokov
  • Gogol and (Lacanian) Psychoanalytic Theory
  • Hermeneutics and Rhetoric of Old Rus' Literature
  • Movements and Genres: Contemporary and
Traditional Approaches (required capstone)

Our colleagues in the Linguistics Division offer such seminars as:
  • Language Pedagogy and Second Language
Acquisition (required for all incoming TAs)
  • Theories of Second Language Acquisition
  • Introduction to Descriptive Linguistics

Students may also take graduate seminars such as
Introduction to Critical Theory and Queer Theory
while working with faculty in Arabic, East Asian,
French, German, Italian or Spanish to gain
expertise in comparative literary and cultural
studies. Our graduate instructor TAs teach
courses ranging from Russian language to Russian
Grammar and Popular Culture to Multicultural Cinema.

Our MA students have been accepted to some of the
leading PhD programs in Slavic and English in
North America. With their strong linguistic and
cultural proficiency, our graduates have gone on
to careers and internships with the US State
Department, Department of Defense, Defense
Language Institute (Monterey), human rights organizations and private firms.

Application deadline:
February 15, 2011: To be considered for admission
in the fall semester, and to be eligible for
enhancement funds that would supplement a TAship.

For further information, please consult our
website at
http://www.fsu.edu/~modlang/divisions/russian/graduate.html
or contact Prof. Lisa Ryoko Wakamiya at lwakamiya at fsu.edu.

Thank you for sharing this information with interested students and colleagues.

Lisa Ryoko Wakamiya
Associate Professor of Slavic
Department of Modern Languages and Linguistics
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL  32306-1540
phone: 850/644-8391
fax:  850/644-0524