Call for Papers: Dostoevsky and the Imperial Army (ASEEES 2011)

Elizabeth Blake slavic57 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 5 04:22:10 UTC 2010

Call for Papers: Dostoevsky and the Imperial Army (ASEEES 2011)

Brief Description: Dostoevsky's reactions to the Crimean War, the Polish Uprising of 1863, and the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-78 indicate his sustained support for the Tsar's army.  This panel seeks to examine how his own personal experience, e.g., at The Academy of Military Engineers, in the military fortress at Omsk, or during service in Semipalatinsk, translates into his defense of this armed agent of the state in times of crisis and encourages his representations of the military in his novels.

Those interested in presenting, please send a one-page c.v., a title of your presentation, and a brief description (~300 words) of your proposed presentation to me as soon as possible at eblake2 at slu.edu.  I would also appreciate hearing from someone who would like to serve as discussant.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Elizabeth Blake
Saint Louis University