Is this accurate?

Simon Beattie Simon at SIMONBEATTIE.CO.UK
Fri Dec 10 15:13:03 UTC 2010

Yes, but Pasternak was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature, not the Peace
Prize.  I presume that's the distinction they are trying to make.

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Rachel Stauffer
Sent: 10 December 2010 14:55
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Is this accurate?

A New York Times
article<http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/11/world/europe/11nobel.html?_r=1&hp>
today
concerning the awarding of the Nobel Prize to China's Liu Xiaobo says:

*"For the first time in 75 years*, no representative of the winner was
allowed to make the trip to receive the peace medal, a diploma and the $1.5
million check that comes with it.

The last time that happened *was in 1935*, when
Hitler<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/h/adolf_hi
tler/index.html?inline=nyt-per>prevented
that year's winner, Count Carl von Ossietzky, who was imprisoned
in a concentration camp, and indeed anyone from Germany, from attending the
ceremony..."

But did Pasternak attend the ceremony in 1958? We know he refused the prize,
but did he also fail to attend the ceremony? Just wondering if the NY Times
has the facts straight here. If so, can anyone explain?

Thanks,

Rachel Stauffer

University of Virginia