Gloom and wit in Russian literature (WAS "one more interview about Grossman")

Perova Natasha perova09 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 11 11:09:31 UTC 2010

Dear Robert
what a wonderful champion of Russian literature you are! What you say is so
true: the ability to capture the author's voice in translation is really
crucial. The myth of the "mysterious Russian soul" is easily dispelled by
good translations.
I would only like to point out to readers of Russian literature in
translation that among the more contemporary stuff there are many fine
sample of humorous, witty and at the same time deep and serious novels.
E.g., Dmitry Bykov's "Living Souls" (published by Alma Books this year) or
Olga Slavnikova's "2017" (also published this year by Overlook), and of
course some of the Glas books (take for instance our latest collection of
young authors "Squaring the Circle".)

Natasha Perova
Glas New Russian Writing
tel/fax: (7)495-4419157
perova at glas.msk.su
www.glas.msk.su

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Chandler" <kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM>
To: <SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2010 1:27 PM
Subject: [SEELANGS] Gloom and wit in Russian literature (WAS "one more
interview about Grossman")

Dear Olga, Penelope, Josh and all,

It is, of course, pleasing to read praise of our translation of Kap. dochka,
all the more so because it was barely reviewed!

But there is a serious point here that needs to be emphasized.  We often
fail to give the few truly outstanding translations the attention they
deserve.  To my mind, the greatest of all translations of Russian prose is
William Edgerton's translation of 'Levsha'.  The word play is every bit as
funny as in the original, and there are at least some occasions when it is
imbued with a still greater depth of meaning.  This translation was first
published in 1969, in Satirical Stories of Nikolai Leskov, but it had been
out of print for a long time when we republished it in Russian Short Stories
from Pushkin to Buida.  If we all did what we could to encourage people to
read translations like this, or Stanley Mitchell's Eugene Onegin, perhaps
there really would be less complaints about the gloominess of Russian
literature.

All the best,

Robert