Is this accurate?

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sun Dec 12 03:38:09 UTC 2010

We are talking about the award ceremony in 1958. Here's what the Nobel
site states:

The Nobel Prize in Literature 1958 was awarded to Boris Pasternak "for
his important achievement both in contemporary lyrical poetry and in
the field of the great Russian epic tradition".

Boris Pasternak first accepted the award, but was later caused by the
authorities of his country to decline the prize. (http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/laureates/1958/
)

In total, the Nobel Prize has been refused six times, but four were
under duress from authoritarian regimes, and the prize was later
accepted. In the late 1930s three German recipients were forced to
decline under pressure from the Third Reich, and two decades later the
Soviet Union harassed novelist Boris Pasternak until he retracted his
acceptance of the 1958 Prize for Literature. All four men later
received the award, Pasternak 29 years after his death. (http://www.bookofodds.com/Relationships-Society/Articles/A0377-The-Nobel-Prize-Who-Gets-It-Who-Keeps-It
)

Dec 11, 2010, в 9:33 PM, Lewis B. Sckolnick написал(а):

> Pasternak accepted the prize when he heard he had won and his family
> has long since collected it.
>
> Lewis
>> On 12/10/10 11:42 AM, Alina Israeli wrote:
>>> Technically Pasternak refused the Prize, as did Sartre. So one would
>>> not expect them to be at the award ceremony.

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave.