Dostoyevsky's " Бесы"(The Possess ed)

helena goscilo goscilo at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 13 16:11:08 UTC 2010

Olga,

I hope you meant 'unquestionably' instead of 'unquestioningly', for the
latter indicates a kneejerk, unthinking choice, with which, I assume, you
would not wish to be associated.

Having compared the Maguire translation to the original with some care and
found the English rendition precise and often inspired in its choices, I'm
curious what you find 'especially' better in the Pevear-Volkhonsky version,
though I'm fully aware that they are 'in' right now (despite a couple of
surprising flubs in their *Anna Karenina*).

Helena Goscilo