queries/An-sky

Katz, Michael R. mkatz at MIDDLEBURY.EDU
Thu Dec 16 18:52:20 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues:

I am finishing my annotated translation of S. An-sky's novel "Pionery" (1906) and am mystified by three phrases:

1) An irate father says to his daughter (who is refusing to marry the man he has picked out for her):

"Tebe, mozhet byt', okazhetsya bolee podkhodyashchim zhenikh s belymi pugovitsami i s 'lyubkami'"?

What could "lyubki" mean in this context?

2) A yeshiva boy studying read Russian is given a simple story (fable?) to read entitled:

"Priznatel'nyi Vanya."

I can't find a source. Any ideas?

3) One of the lads sings a sad song that begins:

Chto ty, glupyi, coloveika,
Pod moim zapel oknom?
Al', ne znaesh', chto evreika
Obitaet etot dom?

I would be grateful for any hints, suggestions, clues you might have to help solve one or more of these puzzles.

Michael Katz
Middlebury College