Russian Language / Literature vs. Russian Studies?

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Sat Dec 18 21:12:19 UTC 2010

 Populations differ in what appeals. To look at the lowest common
denominator: Some graduate students at Youngstown State University did
a study of incoming freshman and their attitudes toward learning a
Foreign Language and presented their results at an in-house conference.
When asked what language they would NEVER consider studying, 21%
indicated Russian (the only lower-rated language was Arabic). One of
the reasons cited: "B/c Russia is so far away & isolated. 3/4 of the
country is so cold that no one can live there. I don't see much value
in learning Russian."

In other words, public institutions have a hard sell.

Melissa Smith

On 12/18/10 2:48 PM, Benjamin Rifkin wrote:
> Dear SEELANGers:
>

> I will be discussing this and related matters in my talk at the
upcoming AATSEEL Conference, from a dean's office perspective.

> Best wishes to all,
>

> Ben Rifkin
> The College of New Jersey

Eastern
> Subject: [SEELANGS] Russian Language / Literature vs. Russian Studies?
>
> Dear Seelangs Subscribers,
>
> As I hear of departments being cut or eliminated, I wonder if it
matters how we present the *purpose* of our course material--on the one
hand, as language learning leading to the study of
literature/linguistics or, on the other, as part of a more general
humanities/social sciences-based Russian Studies.

> Does it make a difference if we package our classes as ways of
understanding "civilization", "culture", "cultural history", "cultural
studies", "area studies", "history of ideas", etc, as opposed to
classes that suggest that our ultimate goal is understanding
"literariness" (e.g., "Russian literature", "19th Century Russian
Literature", "Romanticism", "Pushkin/Dostoevsky/Tolstoy", "Russian
Poetry", etc) and linguistics?

> I'd be curious to know whether anyone on the list has any experience
with reworking the departmental offerings into a Russian Studies
program, what is gained/lost in doing so, and whether that seems to
affect how students, administrators, and the public view the department
and its usefulness to the institution and society.

> Dave Graber

> http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

-

Melissa T. Smith, Professor