Russian Language / Literature vs. Russian Studies?

Ivan S. Eubanks ieubanks at PUSHKINIANA.ORG
Sun Dec 19 00:16:12 UTC 2010

I think low enrollments are a symptom, not a cause.

Are the social sciences and cultural studies really going to save us?
Even they are not in line with the current (apparent) shift toward
non-intellectual, vocational programs, even if they are more
"marketable" (by the way, why do we use the terminology of slavery to
discuss education?) than hard-core humanities.

One alarming trend I've noticed (just by casual observation, not
research, so maybe I'm off base here) is the boom in "Hospitality
Management" programs at universities, while foreign languages are
downsized or cut altogether.  This is part of what I think to be a
movement toward transforming our universities into vo-tech institutions
(i.e. trade schools).  I suppose the powers that be want ignorant
servants rather than a well-educated citizenry.

Thus I propose that, in order to insure the survival of our field(s),
not to mention our own job security (for those of us who actually have
job security), we offer the following types of courses:

"Polish for Plumbers" (this would appeal to students looking to move to
the EU after graduating and realizing that there are no viable career
opportunities in the US)

"French for the Kitchen Help" (this could be a required course for
anyone majoring in the culinary arts; the Italian department could offer
a similar course, which could be taken in lieu of French; at Ivy League
schools, such as Cornell, which reputedly has the best Hospitality
Management program in the country, this could be "French for Restaurant
Managers")

"Russian for Hotel Maids" (one could offer such a course in any Slavic
language; again, elite schools could offer "Russian for Custodial
Management").  Another option would be "Russian for Computer
Programmers," but only at institutions with strong computer science
programs, such as MIT.

"Spanish for Customer Service Reps" (all oral exams to be conducted over
the telephone)

"Chinese for ToEFL Instructors" (a one-semester course, since the ToEFL
instructors will have the opportunity to learn most of their Chinese
on-site in China, after graduating and finding that there are no viable
career opportunities in the US)

"Latin for Welfare Recipients" (could be substituted for the same course
in Ancient Greek; these courses would be quite rigorous and would
involve literary studies, since they are designed for people destined to
end up unemployed anyway)

"German for..."  well, I guess we could scrap German altogether, let the
Germanists take one for the team, so to speak, or we could offer "German
for Classicists," and then make all the Classics majors study German
while reading Ovid and Homer in English translation; this would, of
course, require us to give the axe to the Classical languages, but
that's happening anyway, so no harm no foul.

I think it best not to even imagine the types of courses that would be
offered in Arabic.

Meanwhile, English departments will continue to take the lion's share of
humanities funding, and the "World Lit. in Translation" classes they
have already monopolized will be the only non-Anglophone literary
courses taught (except for the precious Classics taught in the German
dept., if we decide not to give the Germanists the axe after all).

Ivan S. Eubanks
/Pushkin Review / Пушкинский вестник/ <http://www.pushkiniana.org>