palach

David Powelstock powelstock at brandeis.edu
Mon Dec 20 15:56:28 UTC 2010

[marginal correction] The Czech surname Palach is unrelated the Russian (or
Turkish) *palach*. First, the final consonant of the Czech surname is not
<ch> (as in cheese) but <kh> ('x' in Cyrillic). The noun *palach
*('executioner')
is not a Czech word, to the best of my knowledge; even if it were, it would
be spelled differently. The surname Palach is probably a variant of Paluch,
from the Polish for big toe or short finger (disclaimer: I'm not a
Polonist!), perhaps used as a figurative nickname for a small person (cf.
Tom Thumb).

Cheers,
David P