palach

Leslie Root leslie.j.root at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 20 18:33:49 UTC 2010

I think it's worth noting that *palach *is not so much "from the Turkish" as
supposed to be related to the Turkish word *pala*, 'saber,' 'scimitar.' I
say "supposed" because the standard Turkish suffix -*çi* for "one who"*
(whence, supposedly, the -*ch *on *palach*) is unattested in combination
with *pala*. So the realm of assumption has, perhaps, already been jumped
into.

Leslie

* - e.g. *balik *'fish' + *çi *yields *balikçi*, 'fisherman'; *sol *'left' +
*cu, *altered for vowel harmony, yields *solcu, *'leftist.'