palach

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Dec 20 20:51:08 UTC 2010

>> Robert Chandler wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any ideas as to how to translate 'palach', when his
>>> role is not to execute someone but to whip them?
Two comments:  re etymology   From memory I think this was cited as a
spelled akanye word, i.e., it "should" be
"polach", leaving us with a root *pol- + the common Russian agent suffix
-ach.

Re translation.  Interesting that I seem to recall that in Giles
Fletcher's Of the Russ Commonwealth, intended as a report to Queen
Elizabeth, the Russ word "polachies" is cited with explanation.  So even
Fletcher could not come up with a good English equivalent.  Maybe that's
the solution!  Sometimes the original word is the best translation!
Jules Levin
Los Angeles