palach

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Dec 21 08:12:18 UTC 2010

On 12/20/2010 2:16 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> Jules Levin wrote:
>
>> Robert Chandler wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any ideas as to how to translate 'palach', when
>>> his role is not to execute someone but to whip them?
>>>
>> Two comments: re etymology From memory I think this was cited as a
>> spelled akanye word, i.e., it "should" be "polach", leaving us with
>> a root *pol- + the common Russian agent suffix -ach.

Cf. Russ polot' 'to weed [and remove yard debris'].    I have vague
impression cognate with Eng. poll, hair-cutting, but can't remember how
you get a /p/ in both Slavic and Germanic.  But it is undeniable that
palach' was polach', attested in Russian sources and if I am not
mistaken still so pronounced in okayushchie dialects [if they still exist?].
The association between haircutting and beheading?  Well, euphemistic
references to the latter are as old as
Genesis and Joseph's dream interpreting:  the two servants of pharoh
both had their heads raised up--one returned to his high position, and
the other was beheaded.
Now back to Fletcher's citing of "polachies" (previous message).  If you
are interested in Fletcher's many Russian words, beware of all editions
after the 16th Century Hakluyt publication.  I was privileged to use the
1589 edition at Harvard in 1962, but all subsequent versions have
corrupted the text.  The end of the 19th Century produced a Russian
translation of "Russ Commonwealth", where the authors just translated
into contemporary Russian Fletcher's English explanation for the Russian
words he was using.  20th Century English editions just used the Russian
from that edition as a "correction" of Fletcher's Russian.  That's why
the passage where Fletcher refers to "polachies" appears as "palachi" in
the "Rude and Barbarous Kingdom" University of Wisconsin 1968 edition of
Fletcher.  Unfortunately I just reread the passage (from the latter;
don't have a copy of the 1589 edition) and must correct what I wrote
earlier.    Fletcher is repeating an anecdote about Ivan Groznyj
ordering an execution that he probably got from Jerome Horsey, another
Englishman and Hakluyt contributor who had logged more time in Russia
and had a full supply of court gossip to pass on:

“Then asked he his palachi or executioners who could cut up a goose and
commanded one of them first to cut off his legs above the middle of the
shin, then his arms above his elbows (asking him still if goose flesh
were good meat), in the end to chop off his head that he might have the
right fashion of a goose ready dressed.”
Thus we can say that the first English translation of 'polach' was
'executioner', published in 1589.
Jules Levin
Los Angeles