Bazhov - palach

John Dunn John.Dunn at GLASGOW.AC.UK
Tue Dec 21 14:36:35 UTC 2010

While looking up something else, I came across a vivid (not to say gory) account of administering the knout in an 18th-century biography of Peter the Great.*  Perhaps I might quote the relevant passages:

This Punishment is executed by the common Hangman, who is likewise called the Knoutavoit† Master. ... The Executioner seldom hits twice in the same Place ...   (p. 22)

Though I can understand Robert's reluctance to use (public) executioner, it looks as if this might be the appropriate term.

John Dunn.

* The History of the Life and Reign of the Czar Peter the Great, London, 1740.

† This word is written in italics.
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Robert Chandler [kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM]
Sent: 20 December 2010 16:36
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Bazhov - palach

Dear Inna, Olga, Lewis, Simon and others who have replied off list.

Thanks for all your suggestions. In reply: 'Torturer' is a bit too strong - it implies refined brutality, rather than just plain whipping.  'Scourger' is a good suggestion, but I think I prefer a subsequent offlist suggestion of 'scourge'.

Inna, this is for my anthology of skazki (both narodnye and avtorskie).  We're including four of Bazhov's skazy, in translations by a younger colleague of mine, Anna Gunin.

Thanks to everyone!

Robert