Numerology in Crime and Punishment

Cory Davis coryd at SPOKANESCHOOLS.ORG
Wed Dec 22 19:07:01 UTC 2010

I am currently teaching Crime and Punishment to a group of Advanced
Placement high school seniors.  We are trying to figure out the significance of
numbers in the book, especially the number four which he uses constantly.
The scene in the police station shortly after the murder is inundated with the
number four and most people live on the fourth floor.  Razuhmikhin, however,
lives on the fifth floor.  Don't want to make too much out of it, but when
someone of Dostoevsky's caliber emphazises a number there is most likely
something behind it.

Thanks for any input!