Numerology in Crime and Punishment

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Thu Dec 23 01:12:39 UTC 2010

Even numbers of flowers for funerals, odd numbers for birthdays and
other lively occasions. Ulitskaya plays on this in her short story
"Zürich" where the Swiss brings her a dozen flowers.

Four is bad in Chinese and Japanese because the word for death is
homophonic to the word meaning four http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture#Four
.

Did Dostoevsky know Chinese? Or Chinese customs?

AI

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian
LFS, American University