Numerology in Crime and Punishment

Marc Robinson robinso at STOLAF.EDU
Thu Dec 23 01:46:41 UTC 2010

An equally important meaning of 4 might be Creation.  Crossroads (possibly
cross=death, but also salvation/resurrection) figure prominently  - one
might also interpret it as pertaining to the four directions - i.e. covering
all of the earth (Rask. is to bow down and kiss the earth).  It seems to me
the symbol is more complicated than a uniform 4=death=bad.

Marc Robinson, chair
Dept. of Russian Language and Area Studies
St. Olaf College
1520 St. Olaf Avenue
Northfield, MN 55057