Vampires

John Dingley jdingley at YORKU.CA
Sun Dec 26 17:42:17 UTC 2010

Hi,

I wrote about "netopyr'" some years ago:

"Slavic *netopyr' in a Broader Context"
International Journal of Slavic Linguistics and Poetics
44–45: 1–35, 2002–03.

I came to the conclusion that the "traditional" explanation as to its
etymology is the correct one, offering additional evidence to bolster
this contention, viz:

"1. CS *netopyr¸ < IE *nekwt- = ‘night’ + ‘per-’ = ‘to move’ (cf. Old
Church Slavonic (henceforward: OCS) p'rati = ‘to move’), i.e., ‘the one
that goes by night’. This is the most popular theory and is supported by
many scholars, including Vaillant, Mladenov, Il’inskij, Preobražinskij,
Pogodin, Shanskij, and most recently Snoj (1997)."

Although the "e-grade" might not be expected in a substantive, that
grade is also found in Hittite and Tocharian B. The zero grade is
still going strong in Scandinavian "otta", e.g. Swedish "julotta".

As for a connexion between "netopyr'" and Russian "upyr'" (< CS "o,pyr'"),
I had this to say in that article:

"Surprisingly few scholars have seen fit to link, etymologically,
CS *o˛pyrь ‘spectre’ and CS *netopyrь despite their obvious
similarity in
form. Such major sources as Vasmer (1986–1987), Georgiev (1971– ), Skok
(1971– ), and Machek (1997) make no mention of such a possibility. To my
knowledge, only Brückner (1934–1935) deems such a link possible.
This word is not recorded in the OCS canon, but it is nonetheless nigh-on
pan-Slavic. In addition to the meanings of ‘spectre’, ‘ghoul’, ‘phantom’,
the modern reflexes of CS *o˛pyrь sometimes have the meaning of
‘vampire',
e.g., Russian. The etymology of *o˛pyrь remains, to all intents and
purposes, a mystery. Vasmer (1986–1987) has a full discussion, citing all
relevant literature. CS *o˛pyrь is presumably the source of the
‘vampire/
vampir’ word, which is found in many languages. Vampir seemingly came
(back) to Slavic from either French or German, languages, which amongst
others, had borrowed the CS *o˛pyrь in the shape of vampir in the
first
place.
The true Slavic word for ‘vampire’ is CS *volkodlak < volk- + dlak- =
‘wolf’ + ‘hide’ meaning ‘a person in the guise of a wolf’.This word is not
recorded in the OCS canon, but is nonetheless nigh-on pan-Slavic."

Happy Boxing Day!
John Dingley