ASEEES 2011 Panel on Authorship and Authority in Bulgakov's Master and Margarita

johngivens@rochester.edu john.givens at ROCHESTER.EDU
Thu Dec 30 03:05:39 UTC 2010

Dear SEELANGS:

Bulgakov’s novel Master and Margarita provides rich material on the 2011 ASEEES convention theme of “Authorities.” I would like to put together a panel that would offer new perspectives on the question of authorship and authority in the novel. My paper, tentatively titled “Apophaticism, Authority and Authorship: The Search for Christ in the Master and Margarita,” examines Woland's visit to Moscow and the Master's novel about Pontius Pilate as exercises in apophatic theology—the attempt to describe God in negative terms, by asserting what he is not—all in the service of Bulgakov's exploration of authority structures, whether civil, political, cultural, religious or theological.  It is part of my larger book project on the image of Christ in Russian literature. I am looking for two other papers and a discussant. If you are interested in participating, please respond offlist to johngivens at rochester.edu

Best,

John Givens

--
John Givens