Final call for papers: Empire in Russian and Soviet Literature (ASEEES 2011)

Peter Weisensel weisensel at MACALESTER.EDU
Fri Dec 31 17:38:10 UTC 2010

Dear Professor Bojanowska,

I was pleased to receive your message via SEELANGS soliciting paper
proposals about the literature of the Russian core and its peripheries. I
will respond by proposing a paper for one of your panels at the 2011 ASEEES
Washington conference. The paper proposal (that follows below) will be a
summation of a chapter from my book-length manuscript on "Central Asia
Through Russian Eyes" that I am preparing for publication. I realize that my
paper may be a "back-up" for others at this stage, but I will make the
proposal and hope for the best. I will also add that I am trained in history
and not literature. I take a position that may be controversial in a
literary circle, but it will stimulate discussion. My research, however,
fits nicely into the growing consensus, at least as I see it, that Russian
culture does not easily fit into the Saidian Orientalist discourse.

The paper will analyze an early nineteenth-century image of the Asian
(Khivan) as presented in the book, Puteshestvie v Turkmeniiu i Khivu v 1819
g. (SPb., 1822) by Nikolai Nikolaevich Murav'ev (later Murav'ev-Karskii), a
book founded on experiences during a diplomatic expedition in 1819, and one
that Orientalists of the time considered one of the three best books about
Central Asia in Russian. Building on the ideas of Vico and the contemporary
American philosopher, Margaret Urban Walker, I propose that Murav'ev's image
of an Khivan Asian reflects the contemporary context of ideas and not as
much an a priori East-West bifurcation. Murav'ev's infatuation is with the
ideas of J.-J. Rousseau, an infatuation for which many officers shared
before and after the Decembrist revolt. Murav'ev's attraction for Rousseau
was however indiscriminate, because both the rationalist democracy in
Rousseau's Social Contract and his romanticism in Julie, Or the New
Heloise drew
him. Murav'ev speaks at length about the "Khivan people," not Asian
inferiors, while describing the political regime in Khiva, an approach that
is linked to the Social Contract. Interestingly and contrarily, much of the
first volume of the Puteshestvie is laden with sentimentalist and romantic
elements consistent with Julie: extended narrations of his fears of being
abandoned, the terror of falling into slavery, the usefulness, honor and savoir
faire of his guide, Seid. In the end Murav'ev predicts that Russia one day
will have to conquer Khiva if she is to have open access to trade with Asia,
but the explanation is economic pragmatism not culture, and certainly not
race.

Thank you for considering my proposal and I will look forward to hearing
your decision.

Peter Weisensel
Professor of History
Macalester College