Two new translations of The Little Golden Calf

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Tue Feb 2 07:18:33 UTC 2010

Dear Will -
Yes, the reference is certainly to Exodus/Iskhod 32, and the term
there is indeed "calf" without "golden" in the Hebrew original,
although it is clear in context (32:2) that Aaron has formed this
object from gold rings which people wear, and it is not clear whether
the object was made from a mold or was "fashioned from a graving tool"
- to quote the commentary in the NRSV (which is the most accurate
translation into English according to contemporary Bible scholars - I
do not know the Hebrew myself).  In the Synodal Russian we read "i
sdelal iz nikh litogo tel'tsa" (32:4).  In the Greek Septuagint it is
"kai epoiēsen auta moskhon khōneuton."

This is a very interesting discussion, and it leads me to ask if
anyone could supply some information (or bibliographic references)
about the overall history and availability of translations of the
Bible into Church Slavonic and Russian.  I am assuming the authors of
the Russian story in question had some familiarity with the Synodal
Russian, but did either of them know Hebrew (Fainzilberg?)?
Nevertheless, since "zolotoi telets" already existed as a fixed
expression (e.g., used by Dostoevsky), I assume that, since the
biblical context supplied a reference to the precious metal, gold,
then at some point the metaphor of worshipping money or worldly goods
instead of YHWH had to appear, and "zolotoi telets" was easy sailing
from there.  Perhaps not so easy sailing were the religious waters of
that early Soviet time.

With regards to the list,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere