Delivery of Lost Bags Banned

Wed Feb 3 21:26:43 UTC 2010

Josh Wilson wrote:

> SEELANGERs -
>
> If any of you have students traveling to locations in Russia outside of
> Moscow or St. Pete, the article below should be of interest to you.
>
> We actually have a student in Irkutsk to whom this has happened - where the
> luggage was not delivered in time for the connecting flight - making it
> impossible for the owner to claim the luggage and forward it on. Said bag is
> languishing in bureaucratic limbo in Moscow now.
>
> We are currently working on processing and shipping a power of attorney in
> order to have one of our Moscow representatives take care of this - but it
> is a bit of a nightmare (and highly silly) regulation they have now.

There are two simple fixes to this:

1) Revise the airlines' forms so the passengers do give them a proper
power of attorney, making the practice of delivering the bags legal;

or

2) Stay behind, missing your connection if necessary, until your bag
turns up.

Three guesses which option the passengers will prefer...

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com