Nomination for Nobel Peace Prize

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Wed Feb 3 22:38:36 UTC 2010

Nominated for the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize: Human rights defender Svetlana
Gannushkina and the International Memorial Society

 Nominees for Nobel Peace Prize
<http://www.rightsinrussia.info/home/hro-org-in-english-1/human-rights-defen
ders>

 The well-known Russian human rights defender Svetlana Gannushkina and the
International Memorial Society have been nominated for the 2010 Nobel Peace
Prize.

The BBC reports that Svetlana Gannushkina, a member of the governing board
of the International Memorial Society and director of the Civic Assistance
Committee, has been nominated as a candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize by
Erna Solberg, leader of the Norwegian Conservative Party and a former
Minister of Local Government and Regional Development in Norway.
In an interview with the BaltInfo news agency, Svetlana Gannushkina said:
"Partly I feel embarrassed, partly I feel hope that the world community will
at last recognize the problems that exist in Russia with regard to the rule
of law. I see this nomination as a response to the situation that exists in
our country when the ordinary person is at the mercy of the arbitrary
actions of those in authority and of criminal gangs."
Svetlana Gannushkina stressed that her work cannot be viewed separately from
the work of Memorial as a whole.
Svetlana Gannushkina is chair of the Civic Assistance Committee, director of
the Migration and Law Network within the Memorial Human Rights Centre, a
member of the governing board of the International Memorial Society, and
also a member of Russia¹s Presidential Council on Human Rights and Civil
Society.
Since the late 1980s Svetlana Gannushkina has devoted herself with great
energy and effectiveness to the problems facing refugees and internally
displaced people in Russia. This work has made her well-known in Russia, in
the countries of the former Soviet Union, in Europe and in the United
States.