Why do Russians eat potatoes without the skin?

Michele A. Berdy maberdy at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 7 18:19:55 UTC 2010

> What I find surprising is that in a country which has known so much
> hunger,
> a food product is being wasted.

Forgive me if I am being presumptuous -- always a danger in this kind of
communication -- but I think this is a question of country-specific
agriculture. Or region-specific. Or something. That is, in Russia of old,
and especially in prisons, and sometimes even today, a potato peel can be a
filthy, rotted, bruised, yucky, nitrite- and other fertilizer-laden, mostly
inedible thing. It's also not filling the way a potato is. It's not the most
nutritious, vitamin-filled part of the potato. It's more: eat at your own
risk. (I learned this from my Russian husband in the 1980s, when I thought I
knew a lot about vitamins. It was an excellent lesson in "when in Rome...")