Why do Russians eat potatoes without the skin?

Andrey Shcherbenok shcherbenok at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 7 18:23:46 UTC 2010

I would agree that in Russia most people would traditionally peel potatoes
rather than eat them "v mundire", and this process bore quite a bit of
cultural connotations, especially around the military service (a place where
one would be assigned peeling potatoes for the whole regiment, etc.). A
solution of "chistit kartoshku kubikom" was also introduced in such contexts
-- this wastes a lot of food but only requires 6 moves of a knife per
potato.

The reason for this might have something to do with the way potatoes were
stored in Russia. Most people in Russia would not peel "new", freshly
harvested potatoes (especially from their private gardens) that have thin
skins; however, potatoes bought in a Soviet supermarket in the middle of
winter, after they have been sitting in some huge storage for months, would
develop such thick and coarse skins that peeling became necessary. It would
be more difficult to wash these potatoes clean (if it were at all possible)
than to peel them. My hypothesis is that this tradition persists even though
you can now buy much cleaner potatoes in Russian stores.

Andrey

----
Dr. Andrey Shcherbenok
Royal Society Newton Research Fellow

Department of Russian and Slavonic Studies
University of Sheffield, Jessop West
1 Upper Hanover St, Sheffield S3 7RA
United Kingdom
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 7404