Why do Russians eat potatoes without the skin?

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Mon Feb 8 17:08:02 UTC 2010

I don't think the practice can be proved to have originated anywhere or
at any particular time, certainly not the US in the 1960s - hungry
people everywhere probably came to the same conclusions independently.
Certainly my recollections of it in England go back to the 1940s. And
various types of pommes de terre farcies certainly exist in France.

The standard mid-late 19th c. Russian cookbook by Molokhovets gives
baked potatoes as no. 455 (English translation by Toomre) - it instructs
the housewife to wipe the potates without washing them, bake them in the
oven or stove, and serve for breakfast with butter and salt - doesn't
mention whether the skin was eaten or not, which to me suggests that it
was optional.

The first edition of Mrs Beeton' famous Book of Household Management
(1859-61), for decades the Bible of English and possibly also American
cooks (the book was also published in the US), gives instructions on
cooking and serving baked potatoes (no. 1136). She observes: "the
browned skin of  a baked potato is by many persons condidered the better
part of it".

As for ice-cold beer - well, what is the point of brewing a fine flavour
if you then freeze it to death? I don't think Americans really like beer.

Will Ryan