CFP--Translation Studies

Valentino, Russell russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Sun Feb 14 02:52:55 UTC 2010

Dear Professor Parthe,

Maybe there's something between Rochester and Illinois that I'm not quite getting in this exchange, but it seems pretty odd to be criticizing a CFP on this list. Whose chosen discipline should we turn our eyes on next? Which CFP will we say is cutting edge and which could have worked just as well for a conference "a few years ago?" Which key keynoter who appears not to have been included will we point to as inexplicably absent? I'm not one of the organizers of the conference in question, and I have no plans to participate, but are these really substantive reasons to find fault with trying to bring people with similar interests together to share their insights?

The divide between translation theory and translation practice that you point to has been around for a long time, and it's true that many (though not all) working translators don't think much of theory in their practice. But this CFP appears to have a different aim, which is to get people thinking about the relation of translation to the humanities and the manner in which knowledge is constructed and conveyed through translation. The Venuti keynote title would appear to take up this question clearly enough by invoking Jerome, whose translation provided the foundation for some 1500 years of Western Civilization. How the fact of translation might have played a role in constructing civilization is worth taking up, it seems to me.

I'm sure there are different ways to take up such questions, and probably ways that this particular CFP could be improved. But dismissing the enterprise as "humanities lite" is not helpful. I think we should wish the conference organizers well in putting together a meaningful event.

Russell Valentino

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Kathleen Parthe
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:51 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] CFP--Translation Studies

A CFP frames the direction of a conference - that
is its purpose.  In this case, the CFP sounds
like it could have worked just as well for
Post-Colonial Studies or Post-Modernism a few
years ago, just to mention two possibilities,
although, inexplicably, Zizek has been left out .
Translators in our field do remarkable work that
contributes tremendously to our teaching and
research, and they have done it thus far without
translation theory.   We should encourage
translators, the presses that publish them, and
the departments as they evaluate faculty who have
chosen translation as their contribution to the
profession.  The topics listed below appear to do
very little of that.

Kathleen Parthe
Professor of Russian
Director of Russian Studies