CFP--Translation Studies

Susan LaVelle lave0093 at UMN.EDU
Sun Feb 14 04:42:58 UTC 2010

Translators have never translated without theory; readers often are unaware
of that theory. Behind every translation is the "pre-suppositional" matrix
of the translator. Translation theory examines (among other things) the
competing principles that vie for pre-eminence in translation. It asks the
questions: What is the most important focus for translational replication?
Is it mirroring the source text and source language, including rhythmic
pattern? Is it focusing on the translated text's language and making the
text relevant in the language of the reader, sometimes even relevant in the
reader's vernacular speech? Is it replicating the genre or purpose of the
source text (e.g., literary, informative, technical or argumentative) into
the translated text format? Does the translational imperative include
sensitivity to the socio-cultural or socio-political environment of the
translated-audience? of the source-audience? These and more are
competing--even antithetical--prioritizations within translation's scope.
All are important, but which is most important?

Translators try their best, I am sure, to convey textual information from a
source text to a translated text with all these things in mind. However,
these competing factors inevitably conflict. Translation theory is important
for delineating the differing priorities within this practice. Because these
rhetorical questions exist, study of this field should be encouraged.

I don't imply that I know much about this. In all likelihood I know less
than everyone on SEELANGS. To be honest, all I have are questions--which is
why conferences like this should be encouraged.