opposite of an expression

Mon Feb 15 23:59:39 UTC 2010

Sarah Hurst wrote:

> I’ve been trying to translate the following, referring to a chess
> game:
>
> Следующая партия показывает, что при проведении комбинации Ласкера
> позицию чёрных "шапками не закидать"
>
> I’ve found some explanation of the expression “Шапками закидаем” – eg
> here:
>
> <http://www.otrezal.ru/catch-words/463.html>
>
> - so that’s something you’d say to boast about your superiority –
> “we’ll splatter your hats”?
>
> And in the sentence does it mean that the black side’s position won’t
> get touched (by the opponent)? What’s a good way of putting this?
>
> Thanks for any advice,

Lubensky gives the following for "шапками закидать":

шапками закидать /кого/ coll [VP; subj: human; usu. fut (1st pers pl
закидаем or neg pfv fut, gener. 2nd pers sing не закидаешь); fixed WO]
to defeat s.o. quickly and easily (usu. used when brazenly predicting a
quick victory of s.o.): (мы Y-ов) шапками закидаем ≃ we'll bag an easy
win over Ys; it's in the bag; we'll beat Ys all hollow; it's going to be
a walkover; we'll win an easy victory over Ys; || Neg шапками Y-ов не
закадаешь ≃ you won't get Ys that easily. [300 words of examples follow]

So I would say a phrase like "Black's position is impregnable" would be
overstating things; rather, the author is stating the converse, that his
position is not an easy nut to crack, it's no soft touch, etc.

FWIW, I've never in my life encountered the expression "to beat s.o. all
hollow" -- must be a Britishism. And "side" as you've used it is
distinctly British as well, so if that's your target dialect, have at
it. But if your target is American, the negative of a negative ("it's
not unthinkable..." etc.) is much less common here than in Britain.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com