opposite of an expression

George Hawrysch zolotar at INTERLOG.COM
Tue Feb 16 01:45:31 UTC 2010

> Thanks! I had come up with "Black's position isn't in serious
> jeopardy". Maybe "difficult to assail" is better and what's more
> keeps it vaguer...

The Russian idiom does connote the events of 1905, so it's a fitting
choice in the original given that chess is stylized military conflict.
Thus the meaning is: "Black's position is stronger than it may appear
at first." Given the use of the infinitive, a translation might be:
"Black's position will not be as easily overrun as it might seem."

George Hawrysch