Using the indefinite articles

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Fri Feb 19 19:40:14 UTC 2010

This pattern does explain why Russians and émigrés sometimes say "one"
where we would expect "a."
e.g.
"I read one book on this subject," meaning generally "a book," not "I
read just one" -- which is what many Anglophones might understand.

Don't think the French have this issue, because even though our
indefinite article is the word for "one," we have been clear on the
correspondence between le/la=the and un/une=a.
-FR

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:33:56 -0500
  Robert Orr <colkitto at ROGERS.COM> wrote:
> could we have this discussion in p;ublic?  looks very worthwhile!
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Goloviznin Konstantin"
><kottcoos at mail.ru>

Francoise Rosset, Associate Professor
Chair, Russian and Russian Studies