Using the indefinite articles

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Fri Feb 19 20:14:28 UTC 2010

I'm reproducing here my "private" message to the inquirer:

Dear Konstantin:

As a native speaker of English, in my translation practice, I would
probably use "one SINGLE", "LONE", "a CERTAIN man, firm, etc." I don't
think the indefinite article alone has sufficient weight in English to
convey the singularity of the person, etc. in question, and would use
some lexical variant. So I would describe the difference as one of
EMPHASIS, rather than formal or informal. But maybe linguists will
explain it differently.

Melissa

On 2/19/10 9:33 AM, Robert Orr wrote:
> could we have this discussion in p;ublic?  looks very worthwhile!

Russian.
> > But it really exists (in spite of the Official Grammar being blind
on
> > this). Just compare:
> >
> > Есть у нас ОДИН(= количество) мужик в деревне ... нам бы еще одного.

> > Жил был ОДИН (= какой-то, некоторый) старик со своею старухой у
самого
> > синего моря.
> >
> > According the "iron-made" grammar rule the indefinite article must
be
> > always used with singular countable nouns. From another hand live
speech
> > trespasses this rule any time when a possibility appears: just to
keep
> > words in fluency I have to use the indefinite article otherwisely I
don't
> > use it. So we have two rules on using the article in English: formal
and
> > informal.
> >
> > According the informal rule the following sentence in Russian works:
зашел
> > я как-то в ОДНУ фирму. Speaking - зашел я как-то в фирму - is not
> > convinient.
> >
> > What do you think about those two rules? Let me know!
> >
> > With respect,
> > Konstantin.

> >  options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface
at:
> >                    http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

-

Melissa T. Smith, Professor