Using the indefinite articles

Svetlana Malykhina mlsvetka at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 19 21:21:41 UTC 2010

I can add to this discussion a few observations.
In Russian linguistics, "odin" is a pronominal numeral. That's true that some Russian linguists mention this word as closely related to "kakoi-to", "nekiy". It could be rendered in English as "one."  Indeed, it is used in some context in the meaning close to "certain" and sometimes serves to emphasise "indefiniteness." Though its "indefiniteness" is inferred from the context, e.g. in utterances where presupposition of existence is assumed by both the  speaker and the addressee.

Svitlana Malykhina

--- On Fri, 19/2/10, Melissa Smith <mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU> wrote:

From: Melissa Smith <mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU>
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Using the indefinite articles
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Date: Friday, 19 February, 2010, 22:14

I'm reproducing here my "private" message to the inquirer:

Dear Konstantin:

As a native speaker of English, in my translation practice, I would
probably use "one SINGLE", "LONE", "a CERTAIN man, firm, etc." I don't
think the indefinite article alone has sufficient weight in English to
convey the singularity of the person, etc. in question, and would use
some lexical variant. So I would describe the difference as one of
EMPHASIS, rather than formal or informal. But maybe linguists will
explain it differently.

Melissa

On 2/19/10 9:33 AM, Robert Orr wrote:
> could we have this discussion in p;ublic?  looks very worthwhile!

Russian.
> > But it really exists (in spite of the Official Grammar being blind
on
> > this). Just compare:
> >
> > Есть у нас ОДИН(= количество) мужик в деревне ... нам бы еще одного.

> > Жил был ОДИН (= какой-то, некоторый) старик со своею старухой у
самого
> > синего моря.
> >
> > According the "iron-made" grammar rule the indefinite article must
be
> > always used with singular countable nouns. From another hand live
speech
> > trespasses this rule any time when a possibility appears: just to
keep
> > words in fluency I have to use the indefinite article otherwisely I
don't
> > use it. So we have two rules on using the article in English: formal
and
> > informal.
> >
> > According the informal rule the following sentence in Russian works:
зашел
> > я как-то в ОДНУ фирму. Speaking - зашел я как-то в фирму - is not
> > convinient.
> >
> > What do you think about those two rules? Let me know!
> >
> > With respect,
> > Konstantin.

> >  options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface
at:
> >                    http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

>   options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
>                     http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

-

Melissa T. Smith, Professor
Department of Foreign Languages and
Literatures
Youngstown State University
Youngstown, OH 44555
Tel: (330)941-3462

  options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: