Using the indefinite articles

Svetlana Malykhina mlsvetka at YAHOO.COM
Sun Feb 21 02:58:06 UTC 2010

A few more examples:
Grammatical category of number in phrases with generalisation:   “Chto russkomu khorosho, to nemtsu smert’” (from  Vladimir Dal’s dictionary; ironically, his father was a Dutchman and his mother was of German origin)
Non-specific indefinite pronouns with –nibud’ and –libo
Referential pronouns and adverbs “Tam vdali za rekoi zasverkali ogni”
Word order specifies which inforamtion is new (indefinite) and which is already familiar or taken for granted: Ona sidela v kresle.  V kresle sidela ona. (in English the indefinite article introduces a new element )

Svitlana --- On Sun, 21/2/10, Deborah Hoffman <lino59 at AMERITECH.NET> wrote:

From: Deborah Hoffman <lino59 at AMERITECH.NET>
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Using the indefinite articles
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Date: Sunday, 21 February, 2010, 3:49

Interesting. I have been asked several times by native English speakers how Russian conveys the idea of definite/indefinite without articles.

I remember being given a few examples as an undergrad and was wondering if the natives could confirm them for me:

Use of genitive vs. accusative cases:
Ia zhdu avtobus (I'm waiting for the bus)
Ia zhdu avtobusa (I hope one comes, it may or may not, I have no definite knowledge, I'm waiting for a bus)

Ia zhdu zhenu (I'm waiting for my ("the") wife)
Ia zhdu zheny (I'm waiting to have a wife some day)

Use of aspect:
Devushka zvonila? (Did a girl call?)
Devushka pozvonila? (Did a girl call who was supposed do, did a girl call?)

Friday, February 19, 2010 2:59 PM

            From:
            "Olga Meerson" <meersono at GEORGETOWN.EDU>

            To:
            undisclosed-recipients
                Один мой знакомый = A friend of mine
Один солдат на свете жил... = there was A soldier living somewhere...

  options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: