Using the indefinite articles

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Sun Feb 21 01:49:41 UTC 2010

Interesting. I have been asked several times by native English speakers how Russian conveys the idea of definite/indefinite without articles.

I remember being given a few examples as an undergrad and was wondering if the natives could confirm them for me:

Use of genitive vs. accusative cases:
Ia zhdu avtobus (I'm waiting for the bus)
Ia zhdu avtobusa (I hope one comes, it may or may not, I have no definite knowledge, I'm waiting for a bus)

Ia zhdu zhenu (I'm waiting for my ("the") wife)
Ia zhdu zheny (I'm waiting to have a wife some day)

Use of aspect:
Devushka zvonila? (Did a girl call?)
Devushka pozvonila? (Did a girl call who was supposed do, did a girl call?)

Friday, February 19, 2010 2:59 PM

            From:
            "Olga Meerson" <meersono at GEORGETOWN.EDU>

            To:
            undisclosed-recipients
                Один мой знакомый = A friend of mine
Один солдат на свете жил... = there was A soldier living somewhere...