electronic dictionaries and keyboards

Michael Trittipo tritt002 at TC.UMN.EDU
Fri Feb 26 03:47:38 UTC 2010

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 19:52:46 -0500
"Paul B. Gallagher" <paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM> wrote:
> Taya Kitaysky wrote:
> > Could someone please let me know what the best Russian word
> > processor/Cyrillic keyboard is? . . .

> If you're running Windows, recent versions (at least as far back as
> Win2K) have built-in . . . all applications using whichever keyboard
> you select . . .. I don't know if other
> keyboard applications have that same functionality, but others will
> doubtless jump in and tell us.

The same has been true of the various Linux distributions and Macs for
years, too: no need for any special app outside the OS to provide a
non-US keyboard -- the OS has them just a key-chord away.  In the long
term, I think that is the "best" solution: to learn the most common
"domestic" keyboard for one's language(s).  That lets you use basically
any keyboard on any computer in the country.  As for best word
processor -- that's in the beholder's eye.