³the incomplete grandiosity of Russia²

Marina Antic mantic at WISC.EDU
Fri Feb 26 16:40:55 UTC 2010

While I cannot identify the quote, the phrase is very similar to what
Marquis de Salaberry in 1799 concludes about Russia: an "affected
(/pretendue/) civilization" (See Larry Wolff /Inventing Eastern Europe:
The Map of Civilization on the Mind of the Enlightenment/, p. 48).

It is not out of the question that this is, of course, a much more
contemporary judgment, as this motif appears over and over again in
texts about Russia.

Marina Antic
University of Wisconsin - Madison