"Translators Struggle to Prove Their Academic Bona Fides"

Vadim Besprozvanny vbesproz at UMICH.EDU
Fri Feb 26 19:40:18 UTC 2010

Dear Olga,

You just approached an interesting point that always puzzles me. According
to Iakobson / any linguistic poetics, an artistic text is a multilayered
structure that incorporates properties of a natural language (phonetics,
morphology, syntax, etc.) and "extra-linguistic" mechanisms (rhetoric,
prosody, etc.) And the semantic structure of the text exists is a product
of the correlation of these layers/mechanisms (sorry for starting with such
obvious things). Does this mean that any translation of prose/poetry is
able only to aim at conveying a "story" rather than reconstructing this
complex "organism"? Or are there any other tools of a more artistic/less
linguistic nature that help? If you could recommend me any examples of
using any specific approaches I'll really appreciate it!

VB