Lyrics 3d attempt

Max Pyziur pyz at BRAMA.COM
Sun Jan 3 20:30:34 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 03:11:55PM -0500, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> Frans Suasso wrote:
>
> >М: Раз пошла
> >такая мода
> >Подводить
> >итоги года
> >П: Вот и мы не
> >подведём
> >И сейчас их
> >подведём
> >   М: Оп!
> >   П: Молодец!
> >   М: Спасибо!
> >   Вы сейчас…
> >... etc.
>
> Well, Frans, at least this one is convertible to usable form.
>
> But for some reason your Pine keeps sending in various versions of
> Western encoding, and that will never do. If you can't convince it to
> send in a Cyrillic encoding or in Unicode, you'll always get gibberish.

I was trying to parse the mail headers to see if there is an indication of what sort of email program was being used. If Pine indeed is the one, the that could be an explanation; if I understand correctly, it has lapsed in development and possibly cannot handle the utf-8 unicode standard. However, some well-meaning individuals have continued development of pine and their work is known as Alpine. (The University of Washington owns the copyright to the pine, but Alpine is probably some sort of clone, governed by prevailing open-source copyright authority/standard.)

If you have access to Pine, you may also be able to use mutt, a similar email program to [Al]pine, that is able to handle the utf-8 standard.

> Fortunately, Alina was able to solve it with her Apple Mail.

fyi,

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com