translation help

Wed Jan 6 21:07:40 UTC 2010

Panorama of Russia wrote:

> Dear SEELANGers,
>
> I am trying to translate the title of a book by Nikoletta Marchalis into
> English. Люторь иже лють. Прение о вере царя Ивана Грозного с пастором
> Рокитой. The best I can manage is Cruel of the cruel. The argument about
> faith between Tsar Ivan the Terrible and pastor Rokita. My native
> Russian speaking colleague doesn't accept it, but can't improve it.
>
> Can anybody set me straight?

I don't have any problem with your choice of "cruel," but the
grammatical construction strikes me as non-English if adjectives are
involved. I'd be more inclined toward "(The) Cruelest of the Cruel,"
which is a familiar construction (eschewing the humorously anachronistic
"Mother of All Cruelties"). I would have less objection if these were
nouns -- "vanity of vanities," though not entirely natural, is at least
a permitted structure.

I would also find it more natural to use a colon between the two parts
of the title; a period, while common in Russian, is rare in English.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com