translation help

Will Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Thu Jan 7 10:20:59 UTC 2010

Ljutor izhe liut is a sarcastic pun by Ivan
himself, one of two in this text (the other is
kaznodei/koznodei) - see the edition and
translation of the text by Valerie Tumins, Tsar
Ivan IV's reply to Jan Rokyta, The Hague/Paris,
1971, pp. 42-3.
Ljutor is standard in Russian of the period  for
both Luther and Lutheran. The phrase means
'Luther, who is/which means savage' (or malign,
evil etc). The pun, like most puns, is not really
translatable (Luther the looter?).

Will Ryan